Thursday, April 7, 2011

Rag Rug Finished

After I blogged about rag rugs a couple of weeks ago, I went to the thrift store and bought some sheets for my rug.  I bought two, each one was $1.99, and had a 50% off tag.  Yay!  I had a third sheet picked out but when I got to the register I realized it was not 50% off, and was marked $3.99.  No way!


After I washed the sheets, I ripped them both into 1.5 inch strips, which took about 10 minutes total.  The only frustrating thing was the hangy stringy mess that accumulated, but I would rather deal with strings than spend a bunch more time cutting the fabric with scissors or a rotary cutter.




Once that was done I used a big safety pin to connect the end of three strips.  I stuck that pin in between my toes, turned on the TV and started braiding.  At one point Marcus asked why I was using my toes, but it just worked.  An interesting aside: I watched a documentary about Tammy Faye Baker while I did the braiding.  Fascinating!

[vert.messiner.jpg]

It took me maybe 2 hours to do all the braiding.  I don’t know the exact length of the braid when I was done, but it was LONG!  I had a huge pile of braid, and didn’t feel like sewing it together right then so I shoved it in a grocery bag for a few days.

On Monday when I was sick I decided to pull it out and get started, and actually, it only took about 30 minutes to sew the whole thing together.

Here’s the final result.  I finished my first rag rug.  I love how soft and squishy it is, and I’m really pleased with the colors.   







Two sort of ugly sheets + 3 hours + Tammy Faye Baker = Pretty Rug 

4 comments:

  1. is the Tammy Faye an absolute necessity - because that might be a deal killer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I told April we need to make some for Christmas gifts. I love your blog, Kristy :)
    --Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name of your blog. It is so fun! I totally want to make one of these rugs. My grandmother had tons of them all over her kitchen, though they were made from tiny braids. I think yours is grand, and I totally get why you put it away for a few days after braiding! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing! I love how the colors compliment each other. Very cool rug. I love the it!

    ReplyDelete