Saturday, May 14, 2011

Double Rainbow All The Way

Last Christmas, I was crazy busy trying to finish two quilts that I made for my beautiful nieces.  I spent many hours in my sewing room, away from the kids, so when my 3 year old son said, “Mommy, are you making that for me?”  I felt terrible telling him no.  It hadn't occurred to me to make a quilt for a boy!  He has asked me on many occasions since then if I’m going to make him a “blanket”, but after the last two, I needed a break.

A few months ago, I was at the fabric store and picked out fabric for two little boy quilts.  I was not really excited about my choices, and was kind of just shopping to get it done.

I started the quilts shortly after that, and it dragged on and on.  I just couldn’t get into it, and I recently admitted to myself that I hated the fabric, and couldn’t continue.  More guilt.

So back to the fabric store!  The other day I bought these:

With these new fabrics, combined with a ton of cool fabrics I had in my stash at home, I created a beautiful rainbow color block quilt top for each of my boys.  And I got it done all in one day.  If I can get that motivated about a project, I must be on the right track!




Now is when the real work starts, though.  I am going to back each one with a black and off-white print.  I will machine quilt both (that’s my least favorite part).

And the binding will be made from the print fabrics I used on the top, and will run around the quilt in ROYGBIV order.

I love the bright colors, and I had momentary misgivings about doing a rainbow quilt for a boy, but I decided that rainbows make me happy, and that’s all it has to mean.  I am so excited about these quilts, and I hope some day my boys will know how much love went into these “blankets”.

No comments:

Post a Comment