Monday, March 21, 2011

Brunch Update!

The Bags, Brunch, and Bubbly party was a success, despite my lack of planning.  The granola was great, and so easy to make.  I may never buy cereal again.  If you need the recipe, it’s here.  Make it now!





The coffee cakes were a debacle.  I made the muffins but they completely flopped…I mean, big dip in the middle of each one.  These were the ugliest muffins I’ve ever seen.  I have a theory on why this happened (a combination of over-processing the dough, and drinking wine while baking?) but I’ll never know for sure.  So, I was staring at the ruined muffins and wondering what to do, and Marcus says, “Could you crumble them and make them into something else?”

Yes!  Yes I can!  And I did.  I took the muffins out, crumbled them into a bowl.  And then stared at them some more.  Then I put about 2/3 of the crumbs into a 9x13 baking dish and pressed them down in there, like you would with  graham cracker crust.  I mixed up a simple cake batter (eggs, butter, flour, sugar, vanilla, baking powder) and poured that over the crumb crust.  Then I sprinkled the remaining crumbs over the top, and baked it.

It came out surprisingly well!  It cut into neat little squares, stayed firm and moist, and looked cute in little cupcake wrappers on a cake plate.  Several people commented that it was good cake, which really cracked me up!

The quiche scones were awesome.  This recipe is a keeper!  I had a happy accident here too.  I underestimated how many people were going to be there, so I ended up making a second batch with ham and sharp cheddar cheese.  After it was all out on the table, the general consensus was that the cheddar ones were better!  I think it was because the cheese was tastier, and probably saltier.  The swiss was so mild, you couldn’t really taste it.  In any case, they were both good, and every last one got eaten.  This will be my new go to for when guests are coming for breakfast!


All in all it was a pleasant morning sipping champagne, and spending time with a bunch of great ladies.  I think we should do brunch more often, don’t you?  My budding photographer friend Jenn was kind enough to take all these pictures of the party!

1 comment:

  1. yummm... and now I'm craving some crumb cake... which is probably what I SHOULD have done with my cake disaster of this weekend... fortunately I had a houseful of cousins to dispose of the unsightly evidence :)

    ReplyDelete